Thursday, January 20, 2011

The only way to protect your child is by teaching them to love




Once I had a son. I knew he was mine. In certain tender moments the world was nothing more than he and I and the feelings between us, and my heart would break. It would break because if anything was ever mine in the world it was him. He couldn't have come to be without me or continue to exist without someone who could be trusted to take care of him. And I was fine to be that person who he belonged to. Until in one of these moments, during a rush of all these feelings I'm hit with the realization that nothing belongs to us. Nothing is ever ours when we ourselves are at the mercy of forces beyond our power. And I began to turn away from the most obvious thing I knew to trust. I regret attachment. I know love doesn't protect, it hurts and kills.

No comments:

Post a Comment